This guide will show you how to root the popular Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom device from Samsung.
Disclaimer: Digital Endpoint is not responsible for rooting the Android device in any way. Before performing any of these steps make sure you back up your Android device completely.
Rooting is done entirely by you at your own risk.
What is needed to root the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom?
In order to root the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom you will need the following.
- The Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom you want to root in your hand.
- A PC.
Step 1 – Download the USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom for your PC
In order for your PC to recognise the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom as part of the rooting process you first must download and install the USB drivers on to your PC.
You can download the USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom from here.
Once you have downloaded them run the main program file to make sure the drivers are installed.
Step 2 – Download the Odin rooting program
In order to root the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom using the root file given in the next step you must first download Odin which is what will be used to install the root file on to the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom and perform the rooting process.
You can download Odin from here.
Once downloaded extract the file to a convenient location such as the desktop.
Step 3 – Download the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom root packages
Now that we have installed the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom USB drivers and downloaded Odin we now need to download the root package to be used for the rooting process.
You can download the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom root package from here. Make sure you save it in an easy to find location such as the desktop and extract it to its own folder.
You also need to download the Superuser zip file which you can get from here.
Again, make sure you save it in an easy to find location such as the desktop but do not extract it.
Step 4 – Enable USB debugging on the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom
In order for your PC to recognise the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom when you plug it in to perform rooting you must first enable USB debugging on the device itself. This is done by doing the following.
- Tap the Settings option.
- Tap the About Device option.
- Keep tapping the Build Number option (seven times) until it says you are a developer.
- Tap the new Developer Options menu that appears.
- Make sure that the USB Debugging option is checked.
Step 5 – Root the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom
Now that we have all we need it is time to root the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom. Before we can do that you must first put the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom in to Download mode which can be done using the following steps.
- Make sure the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom is powered off completely.
- Hold down the Volume down key and the Home key and the power button and keep all three buttons pressed until the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom powers up.
- Providing you have done it correctly it should boot in to Download mode and you press the Volume up key to start Download mode.
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom now to your PC.
- Run the Odin software you downloaded in step 2.
- Inside Odin click the AP option and browse on your computer to the .tar root file you extracted in step 3.
- Inside Odin click Start to begin the root process.
The process will take a few moments after which the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom will restart itself and complete the rooting process – Do not remove the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom from your PC during this time.
Once the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom starts up properly copy the zip file you downloaded in step 3 to the device in an easy to find location such as the Downloads folder.
Now that you have done that you must then reboot in to recovery mode.
- Make sure the device is turned off completely.
- Hold down Volume Up + Home + Power until the device turns on and boots in to recovery mode.
Now, with the device in recovery mode, choose Install zip from Sdcard and browse to the Superuser zip file you copied to the device and install it.
Once installed return to the main menu and then reboot the device.
Once the device has rebooted you should see the SuperSU application visible which means you successfully rooted the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom.
If you would like to discuss this article in our forums please visit Rooting guides help and discussions