Do I need to root my device?
No, you do not need to root the device and you can install KnowIT directly on to your Android device – but without rooting several KnowIT features will not be available.
What is rooting?
Rooting is the process of installing software on the device that is not available on play store and allows access to special features.
Benefits of Rooting
- Complete invisibility of the software
- All remote SMS commands sent from your own phone to the device for remote control are hidden if typed correctly
- The ability to remotely update the KnowIT software.
- IM capture (Facebook, Skype, Whatsapp etc.)
- * Surroundings Monitoring – use a designated phone to listen live to the surroundings of the employees device.
- * Call Interception – Use a designated phone to listen live to the employees phone calls
- Password grabber – Capture and upload the device lock pattern/passcode as well as application and email passwords
*Please note that both of these features may be considered “live interceptions of electronic communications” which may require specific language or notification in your companies Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).
Know IT recognizes that special business compliance needs may be present that require the use of these features, but takes NO responsibility for the legality of how you ultimately decide to use them and what you decide to do with any information you ascertain via. these means. Please refer to your legal counsel with any questions.
Can I install KnowIT and root later?
Yes, however to get the capabilities that require rooting, you need to root first and then install KnowIT.
How can I tell if my device is already rooted?
On a rooted Android device you will see an icon called SuperSU.
KnowIT can hide this as part of the installation